KIP-59 Humanity Court Parameter Updates (January 2023)
I propose to update the parameters in Humanity Court.
Various users have complained that ETH rewards in Humanity Court are barely worth the gas, so they are essentially volunteering. Moreover, incoherent votes mean 17x losses over the potential profit (after taking gas costs under account), since the PNK they have to put on the line is 7000 PNK. This is very punishing and various jurors have either unstaked or will be about to unstake from this court.
Proof of Humanity is also a highly dysfunctional DAO that hasn’t updated inconsistencies in their Registration Policy for over 6 months. Jurors are forced to essentially guess around the inconsistencies on a case by case basis. This exposes jurors to high levels of risk.
Also, a new proposal has been accepted that will make changes in the policy that will significantly raise the workload of jurors. This HIP is particular is rather complicated.
William’s assumptions for these calculations were that: 97% of rulings voted to reject profiles (that means, larger minstake or alpha needed, to prevent jurors from just voting the most likely option and getting away with it as a profitable strategy) and, that the juror effort is 7.2$.
Juror effort is larger
given the extremely exhaustive list of checks that jurors need to perform, this cannot be assumed to be a 7.2$ task. I’ll try to make a list, but I might miss something:
- the obvious: person in profile and video must be the same
- request must always be compared to the given policy, and old requests, or requests within a period of policy updates, can result is a wrong decision, because some policies have different rules.
- profile picture must look at the camera
- video must not be mirrored.
- photo and video must be on “the right orientation”. note: the policy doesn’t explain if the profile picture can be mirrored, so jurors take a risk there.
- they have to say the phrase, but it could be in spanish (a language most people don’t speak)
- they must either:
- show a sign with an address that jurors will have to check manually (a process that could take around a minute), check if there are mistakes, and then compute if the mistake can be punished according to a list of conditions.
- say a verbal confirmation phrase containing 8 words (that could be in spanish), that are related to their address. Juror has to go to a PoH frontend and crosscheck the phrase. Thick accents are allowed here, but mispronunciations, omissions, etc are not. The frontend may not even show you the phrase and you will be required to check it manually. The policy doesn’t specify how this phrase is generated and it could become an issue. (Notice how all phrases have the first word start with the letter “a”? The reason why is important and it’s not clarified in the policy. In fact, you would by default, given the wording in the policy, assume it would work in a different way. So far no one tried to challenge on this basis, but it could be a good argument that would render all those profiles incorrect.)
- “excessive makeup” is banned. colored lipstick is mentioned as an example. there have been challenges related to makeup and the results look random, so it’s super risky to be a juror in this circumstance.
This is a long and tedious process and jurors should be expected to make mistakes, just like the regular humans that submit to this registry have mistakes around it. It is error prone and there is subjectivity around a few things, such as caligraphy, what’s excessive makeup, what’s a mispronunciation, is a profile picture mirror allowed, are sybils/farmed accounts allowed, etc.
Proof of Humanity disputes are reasonably technical at this very moment, and after HIP-58 becomes live, even more so. So I would consider juror effort to be worth 30$ as a minimum.
I would also assume (a priori, again just guessing without much objectivity) that a wrong vote should punish like 4x or 5x proper votes, at its worst, given the volatile nature of the Policy of the only Arbitrable that runs disputes on this court.
These are the suggested new values for Humanity Court:
Proposed juror fee : 0.025 ETH
Proposed minstake : 16000.0 PNK
Proposed alpha: 0.5